Wednesday, February 22, 2006

A Dose of Humiliation is Good for the Soul

Last night and this morning, I've poored through half of C.S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters and rapidly discovered that a great many of these demonic bits of advice apply to my life and my actions. Traps and snares abound in my life, yet I tend not to be mindful of their abundance...reading a book like that convicts the soul and humiliates a man in his own eyes.

I am borrowing it from my roommate and turned to him to ask for a different book, not because I dislike this, but because I was looking for one more spiritual, "this one is making me feel guilty," I said, "and I'd rather read something more spiritually uplifting."

"If it's convicting your heart and humbling you, then I think that's the book you need to read." He said.

Can't beat that advice.

No comments: