Sunday, February 19, 2006

Stereotypes

Stereotypes. We all have them, especially young people. They're full of stereotypes.

I really hope someone caught that.

I was at the mall a while ago with my beloved Jennie and as we walked hand-in-hand, we were approached by a few young guys, high school seniors perhaps, who looked at me and said in a very frank voice, "dude, how did you get her?!"

I didn't know whether to be complimented or insulted. On the one hand, he had just told me in no uncertain terms that the woman who loves me is beautiful. On the other, he had just single-handedly judged me unworthy of her by our exterior looks.

Jen took it as an insult and a personal one at that. What the comment had meant to her was that she was too beautiful to be with someone like me and that beautiful girls like her are shallow and selfish. He had judged her soul by the appearance of her body.

I'm not a fan of political correctness. I think too many people whine about stereotypes. However, every once and a while, some very wrong judgment is made. How rude can you get? We must be careful not to make stereotypical judgments and insult people based on what we mistakenly think of them. Judgment is a double-edged sword...swordplay should only be undertaken by those who have training and experience.

For the record, if that boy had taken a moment to look past her body and into her soul, he would have seen something far more beautiful and precious. I'm blessed to have had the chance to see her soul before her body.

No comments: